Barcodes in MS Access Query
Encode Code 128 Barcodes in an Access Query
- This tutorial shows how to encode the barcode value directly in a SQL query.
- The query is based on a data table. It has all the same fields as the table, plus one barcode field.
- The benefit of this method is the query can be used as data source to an Access Report, Form, or even other programs like MS Word or Publisher.
- Any software which imports from an Access database can create Code 128 barcodes.
Step 1. Import module with barcode functions.
- Click on Database Tools tab > Visual Basic (or press Alt + F11).
- Right-click on the database name and select "Import File"...
- Select BarCodeWizCode128.bas.
- The default location of the file is:
C:\Program Files\BarCodeWiz\BarCodeWiz Code 128 Fonts .
- The following module should now be part of the Access file.
Step 2. Create a new Table
- Create a new table or use an existing table. Our table has the following data:
- item_barcode is a Text field containing the barcode data we will encode.
- item_name is a Text field with item description
- item_price is a Number field with the item's price
Step 3. Create a new Query
- Click on Create tab > Query Design
Step 4. Add our Table
- Double-click on Items in the Show Table dialog, and click Close.
Step 5. Edit Query
- Add all items in the first column: Items.*
- Add a new calculated field to show the encoded barcode:
Step 6. Save the Query and preview
- The field MyBarcode contains the encoded value of item_barcode. The function BCW_Code128B() encodes the text in Code 128 Subset B; it adds the start/stop characters as well as a calculated check digit.
- This query may be used anywhere you'd normally use the Items table.
- To display it as a barcode, simply change the Font Name and Size.
EXAMPLE: Using the query as a data source for a Report
- Create a new report: Create > Report Wizard
- Select the ItemsQuery as the source and select all fields.
- Click Finish and edit the report in Design Mode.
- Edit the text box to change the Font Name and Size:
Font Name: BCW_Code128B_1
Font Size: 20
- Print Preview the report.